I know we have all been invited to these at one point or another…the dreaded home shopping party. Early last week I got a Facebook message inviting me to a “Mommy’s Night Out” (apparently having a child is not required). I was so excited as I have the night off from my PT job and I also haven’t seen these girls in forever! Of course these types of parties are usually pot luck and make ladies feel the need to dress to the nines while still looking “casual” (what? no, I woke up with these beachy waves and smoky eyes). I used to love every opportunity I got to attend a home party and now they give me a tight feeling in the pit of my stomach…
I have many friends and family members who work from home and sell products like Shaklee, Avon, Scentsy, Stella & Dot, and Silpada and these are people who I really want to support. They have all supported me at some point in my life and I like having the opportunity to give back to them. Here are my tips for surviving a home shopping party:
1. Shop Ahead – If the product has an online catalogue, look through it ahead of time and find something in your budget. I like to go to an page I think I might like and then arrange by price lowest to highest and find something at a price point I am comfortable with. There are times I have gone and not bought anything at all, just enjoyed the company.
2. Name Your Dish– Since many of these parties are potluck, it gives you the flexibility to make something on the cheap. Dips are often easy and cheap options!
3. Carpool– If someone lives close to you, try to arrange rides and save on gas!
4. Purchase Before Wine– This one is tricky. If at all possible, try to make your purchases before you get tipsy. There is nothing more dangerous than having too many glasses of wine at a jewelry party and having your credit card or cash in hand.
5. Pay Cash– If allowed, bring cash so you are not tempted to over spend on a credit card.
I’m sure there are many more I haven’t thought of! What are your tips for surviving?